Tuesday, January 27, 2015   



..:: Departments  ....   Inspection (Building/Plumbing) ::..



Building permits are required for the following commercial and residential projects in Findlay Township: new construction and additions, remodeling and alterations (with the exception of residential remodeling and alterations that do not involve structural changes or changes in the means of egress), decks (where the floor of the deck is more than 30 inches above grade-a zoning permit only is still required for decks less than 30 inches above grade), and swimming pools (both in-ground and above-ground pools with water depth greater than two feet).   Building permits are also required for all commercial detached miscellaneous use/utility structures such as garages, carports, greenhouses, storage sheds, etc. A building permit may or may not be required for a residential use/utility structure depending on the type of residence the structure is accessory to and the size of the structure. Building permit fees are based on the square footage of the proposed construction. All construction is inspected by the Findlay Township Inspection Department for compliance with the 2009 International Building Code (commercial), and the 2009 International Residential Code. If you are not sure if your project requires a building permit, please contact the Findlay Township Building Inspection Department at 724-695-0500 before you start construction. 

Quick Reference Information:

Residential (click individual link for PDF document)

1.   Residential Building Permits Information Sheet
2.   New Home or Residential Addition Requirements
3.   Residential Decks Requirements
4.   Swimming Pools Requirements (revised 5/2011)
5.   Utility and Misc. Use Structures Requirements

Click here for Residential Forms (Building Permit, Use-By-Right, Occupancy Permit, etc.)
Click here for Residential Zoning Forms

Commercial (click individual link for PDF document) 

1.  Commerical Building Plan Requirements/Checklist  Updated January 1, 2010
2.  Food Facility (Construction or Remodel)

Click here for Commercial Forms (Building Permit, Use-By-Right, Occupancy Permit, etc.)
Click here for Commercial Zoning Forms


On July 1, 2009, Act 132 of the State of Pennsylvania took effect.  This act requires all constractors to register with the Office of the Attorney General prior to contracting their services for home improvement projects. Act 132 offers protection to consumers, requires contracts between consumers and contractors and provides for civil and criminal penalties for violations of Act 132 and fraud.

For more information on this law or to find out how to become registered, click here for the Office of Attorney General's website.


Plumbing permits are required for all new fixture installations including new sinks, water tank replacements, new construction involving plumbing, and repairing and/or replacing sewer laterals. The Township Plumbing Inspector issues all plumbing permits based upon the Allegheny County Plumbing Code. When hiring a plumber, County Plumbing Code requires the plumber to be a registered master plumber within Allegheny County. To find a registered master plumber, Allegheny County has a searchable database. Click here for the database


Zoning permits are required for all new structures including garages, decks, porches, sheds, above ground and in ground swimming pools, signs, and fences. There is no zoning permit fee for residential sheds up to 120 square feet, residential decks up to 120 square feet, above ground swimming pools, and fences. Permit applications and the fee schedule for all other permits are available at the Township offices, can be mailed upon request, or in some cases, are available online. If you are planning a project and have questions, please call the Township office at 724-695-0500 for assistance.


Copyright 2006 by Findlay Township